Orendo Wilber Britton was born October 20, 1852 at Mt. Tabor, Rutland Co., Vermont. His parents were Lucius and Phebe (Hart) Britton. He was the youngest in the family, having four older brothers, and one older sister. One brother had died in Vermont, and his only sister, Louisa, died in Michigan in 1857 at the age of 16. Wilber was only a few years old when the family left Vermont and moved to Hillsdale County, Michigan, settling on a farm in Ransom Township.
Angelia Elizabeth Sloan, daughter of James (II) and Amerilla (Holden) Sloan, was born March 14, 1857, in Hillsdale Co., Michigan. Her father's family roots go back to the early New England Sloan and Beal families.
O. Wilber Britton and Angelia Sloan were married on December 1, 1875, in Hillsdale Co., Michigan. Wilber farmed and also operated the grist mill that was south of the town of Pittsford on Pittsford Rd. in Hillsdale County.
Britton Mill, Pittsford, Michigan
A total of thirteen children would be born to this marriage. Not all survived to adulthood.
- Oma L. Britton: 15 Nov 1876 - 31 Aug 1953
- Glenn Abner Britton: 1 Oct 1878 - 23 Jun 1907
- Leda Vera Britton: 12 Jun 1880 - 11 Nov 1957
- Orlie Ellis Britton: 19 Jan 1883 - 26 Apr 1948
- Ora Nellice Britton: 19 Jan 1883 - 1 Jan 1929
- Harley Wilber Britton: 21 Feb 1887 - 26 Oct 1907
- Nina June Britton: 12 Jun 1888 - 9 Aug 1980
- Dollie Lucy Britton (*1): 15 Aug 1889 - 24 Jul 1974
- Geneva Britton: 11 Dec 1890 - 21 Sep 1891
- George H. Britton(*2): 11 Dec 1890 - 21 Oct 1918
- Ivah Leota Britton: 15 Oct 1893 - 12 Jul 1979
- Cleo Elihue Britton: 30 Aug 1895 - 26 Jan 1972
- Ephraim Britton: 1897 - 1897
Orendo Wiber Britton died on June 11, 1917. Six years latter Angelia (Sloan) Britton died Aug 1, 1923. Both were buried in the Leonardson Cemetery just south of Pittsford in Hillsdale Co., Michigan.
(*1) Dolly (Britton) Bavin was my grandmother.
(*2) George Britton was killed in France in the Argonne Forest during WW-I, exactly three weeks before the Armistice of Nov. 11, 1918 brought the war to an end. He was buried in France. A memorial marker was erected in the family plot at the Leonardson Cemetery, Jefferson Twp., Hillsdale Co., Michigan.
"Britton Family Records"; Un-published records and notes collected, verified and compiled by Carol M. Newcomer.
I have personally verified the facts mentioned in this post relating to the Lenordson Cemetery in Hillsdale County, Michigan.